Becoming a Member of State of the Art Gallery
The gallery maintains a roster of 30 members. Applications are reviewed once a year in early spring, when vacancies are available.
Questions? Visit the gallery and talk to current members. Call the gallery at 607 277 1626 during business hours. Email the membership committee at Membership@soagithaca.org
Benefits and responsibilites of being a SOAG artist member:
- Show artwork in the main gallery space once every two years in a shared show or a once every four years in a solo show.
- Show individual artwork in the Salon or group shows at least eight times a year.
- Collaborate with a creative group of local artists to promote visual arts sales in Ithaca
- Collegial support of fellow artist members.
- Staff the gallery each month for 5-6 hours, and sign up for gallery cleaning once a year.
- Attend gallery openings and special events.Pay annual membership dues (currently $355 annually), 10% commission to gallery for artwork sold, and exhibition fees.
- Attend monthly membership meetings.
- Participate in running the gallery by working on at least one committee including membership, reception, installation, publicity, internship, technical support, special events, gallery operations and/or marketing.
What is SOAG looking for in selecting member artists?
- Original vision
- A portfolio of recent work (8-12 pieces created in last three years)
- Clear presentation of what a show would look like.
- Quality craftsmanship
- Record of creative accomplishment
- Presentation of work
- Commitment to the cooperative vision of the gallery
- 8 -12 jpegs (no PDFs) with list including title, medium, size and date for each image.
- Resume, record of exhibitions
- Artist statement (250 words or less in Microsoft word doc or RTF, absolutely no PDFs)
- Email all application materials to: Membership@soagithaca.org
Interview & Portfolio Presentation:
Upon review, applicants will be invited for portfolio presentation and interview with the current gallery membership. Final determination of new members will be made by a vote of the membership.