Becoming an Artist Member of the State of the Art Gallery
SOAG Membership Application Process:
The gallery maintains a roster of 30 members. Applications are reviewed once a year in early spring, when vacancies are available.
Benefits and responsibilities of being a SOAG artist member:
- Show artwork in the main gallery space once every two years in a shared show or a once every four years in a solo show.
- Show individual artwork in the Salon or group shows at least eight times a year.
- Collaborate with a creative group of local artists to promote visual arts sales in Ithaca
- Collegial support of fellow artist members
- Staff the gallery each month for 5-6 hours, and sign up for gallery cleaning once a year.
- Attend gallery openings and special events.
- Pay annual membership dues (currently $355 annually), 10% commission to gallery for artwork sold, and exhibition fees.
- Attend monthly membership meetings.
- Participate in running the gallery by working on at least one committee including membership, reception, installation, publicity, internship, technical support, special events, gallery operations and/or marketing.
What is SOAG looking for in selecting artist members?
- Original vision
- A portfolio of recent work (8-12 pieces created in last three years)
- Clear presentation of what a show would look like.
- Quality craftsmanship
- Record of creative accomplishment
- Presentation of work
- Commitment to the cooperative vision of the gallery
- 8 -12 jpegs (no PDFs) with list including title, medium, size and date for each image.
- Resume, record of exhibitions
- Artist statement (250 words or less in Microsoft word doc or RTF, absolutely no PDFs)
- Email all application materials to: Membership@soagithaca.org
Interview & Portfolio Presentation: April
Upon review, applicants will be invited for portfolio presentation and interview with the current gallery membership. Final determination of new members will be made by a vote of the membership.